73 Ways to improve your Spoken English Skills & Communication
Learning English language has become a necessity in today’s life. It has become an official language and is being widely used in all areas ranging from education to handling business to professional life. Its importance can’t be ignored. So every individual today is trying to learn the language y one or the other means.
So here are some effective ways to gain perfection in the language.
- 1. Never be afraid to commit mistakes. You can correct your mistakes only if you know you make them:When it comes to speaking English, it’s important to remember that mistakes are a natural part of the learning process. Many people feel embarrassed or nervous about making mistakes, but the truth is that making mistakes is the only way to learn and improve.
One of the keys to improving your English speaking skills is to be open and honest with yourself about your mistakes. If you don’t know you’re making mistakes, you won’t be able to correct them. By being aware of your mistakes, you can take steps to correct them and prevent them from happening again in the future.
It’s also important to remember that making mistakes is not a sign of failure. In fact, it’s quite the opposite. Making mistakes means that you’re taking risks and pushing yourself outside of your comfort zone, which is essential for learning and growth.
So, never be afraid to commit mistakes while speaking English. Embrace them as a natural part of the learning process, and use them as opportunities to improve and grow. With practice and perseverance, you can overcome your mistakes and become a confident and fluent English speaker.
- 2. Try to put yourself in an English speaking environment. Surround yourself with English dialogues, music etc :One of the best ways to improve your English speaking skills is to surround yourself with an English-speaking environment. This means exposing yourself to English dialogues, music, movies, and other forms of media. By immersing yourself in the language, you’ll be able to improve your listening skills, pick up new vocabulary and expressions, and become more comfortable with the language.
There are many ways to create an English-speaking environment for yourself. For example, you can watch English movies or TV shows, listen to English music, read English books or newspapers, or even join an English language club or conversation group.
By doing this, you will start to think in English and get accustomed to the sounds of the language. It can also help you build your confidence in speaking English as you practice the language more often.
- 3. English can be improved if one practices 4 skills-reading, writing, listening and speaking altogether. They need to work simultaneously to improve upon the language:When it comes to improving your English skills, it’s important to remember that there are four key areas you need to focus on: reading, writing, listening, and speaking. These four skills are interconnected and interdependent, and practicing all of them simultaneously is key to improving your overall language proficiency.
By practicing your reading, you can improve your vocabulary, grammar, and comprehension skills. Writing helps you to develop your grammatical accuracy, and improve your ability to express your ideas in English. Listening is critical for developing your understanding of spoken English, while speaking helps you to develop your fluency and pronunciation.
While it’s important to focus on each of these four skills individually, it’s equally important to work on them together. For example, practicing your reading and writing skills can help you to develop the language structures and vocabulary that you need to use in speaking and listening. Similarly, working on your listening and speaking skills can help you to improve your pronunciation and comprehension of the language.
- 4. Try to chart out a study plan and divide time amongst all the four habits to learn English. It’s also important to stick to the plan drafted.
- 5. Try to surround yourself with the people whom encourage you to move on the path of improvement.
- 6. Try to learn new English words daily and make use of them in your sentences while speaking.
- 7. Make it a habit to study any newspaper or a book daily for atleast 15-20 minutes.
- 8. Try to set up the time of your English study when your body is most energetic during the day.
- 9. Try to use the vocabulary learnt in your daily conversation so that it gets memorized by heart.
- 10. Evaluation is very important part of any study agenda. Regular evaluation helps a person to analyze where he is heading to.
- 11. Prepare long term language learning goals and then segregate them in to shorter goals- weekly, daily goals etc.
- 12. Reward yourself as and when you achieve the short term learning goals as they are the motivator for you to move towards long term goals.
- 13. Create a study and English learning atmosphere because a positive atmosphere has a far better impact on learning and retention pace.
- 14. Try to test and implement what works best for you as what is good for one may not be that good for the other. So try, test and implement the best technique suitable to your requirement of study.
- 15. Try to get help from your English trainer, classmates or friends on topics you don’t understand.
- 16. Reviewing is the best practice to get perfection. Every lesson or chapter should be reviewed to gain perfection in the concept.
- 17. One should take short breaks after a continuous study of 30 minutes. Fresh air and a short walk reenergize the body.
- 18. One should not hurry up to move to next level of study. Try to concentrate on the present level and gain perfection in that.
- 19. One should try to watch English news and English movies.
- 20. Try to read English novels of your level and analyze your understanding of the novel after that.
- 21. For the beginners it is advisable to start with the children book as these are easy to understand, analyze & apprehend.
- 22. Newspaper is the best way to built up English vocabulary. One can find new words with each reading of the new article.
- 23. One should try to understand the concept of English article instead of worrying about the meaning of each and every word.
- 24. For a new English word that you can’t understand try to capture its meaning from around the nearby words or phrases. Try to guess the meaning from the context.
- 25. One should try to learn English root words that will help in guessing the nearby meaning.
- 26. When one is trying to learn new words try to understand all its forms.
- 27. Try to learn suffixes and prefixes to build upon a strong English vocabulary.
- 28. Try to use maximum of English words in your daily conversation.
- 29. Try to think in English for every possible situation to improve upon the fluency.
- 30. We can’t learn English from any text book. It is an art that can be learnt by practicing.
- 31. The most productive way to learn English is by talking. The more you talk the more fluent your language becomes.
- 32. English Writing can be improved by practices some sentences daily. One can maintain a daily ledger to practice the writing context.
- 33. One can improve the English writing by stating an online blog.
- 34. To become a better English writer one can engage in a brainstorm session as one can get many ideas and thoughts which we can write in a structured way on paper without worrying about the grammar and spelling. In the second stage one can review the grammar and spellings. Finally we can get it checked from someone to understand the shortcomings.
- 35. We should understand the use and importance of the punctuation marks as a slight change in their position can change the meaning of the entire English sentence.
- 36. If you have a sweet voice you can try learning the lyrics of English songs as would help to improve the fluency and pronunciation.
- 37. Try to engage with social networking sites as a casual chatting in English would also go a long way to improve the language.
- 38. Try to listen to any English radio channels as it would make your ears habitual to hearing English words.
- 39. Try to play a CD at home and sing along to improve the intonation, pronunciation and the rhythm. How to start speaking English at Home?
- 40. Try to engage yourself in dictations by writing down what you hear in a CD.
- 41. Record your voice when you speak on any topic and hear it again to check the areas where you lack.
- 42. One can review the lessons by recording the lessons you take with your teachers. This way you can review the speed and intonation.
- 43. Keep English dictionary handy as would help to clarify the meaning of the words you can’t understand.
- 44. Don’t make dictionary as your main teacher. Instead of trying to rely on it for each and every word try to guess its nearby meaning rather than going straight to dictionary.
- 45. stay positive and don’t give up if you feel you aren’t learning that quickly. Remember slow and steady wins the race.
- 46. Try to have fun while learning as it will improve the pace of learning.
- 47. Try to be a bit relaxed while speaking. Take two deep breaths as would relax your mind.
- 48. Keep yourself motivated by looking upon the old books and novels that you have studied so far.
- 49. Age is not the factor if you want to learn English. You are never too young or too old to learn any language.
- 50. If you are not getting the desired results it may be because you are not applying the desired or most effective way to learn things.
- 51. Use study material that is in tune with your level of study. Taking too high level material may not give desired results.
- 52. Never worry about the perfection in English accent. It’s an important part of your cultural identity to keep your accent.
- 53. One should be aware of the difference in the vocabulary of American, British, and English and should use words accordingly.
- 54. Try using cue cards for writing new English words whenever you come across any. These can be referred whenever you feel the need to.
- 55. Try to make small notes of important points and stick them in your study room so you can glance at them whenever you are free.
- 56. Try to learn and understand phrasal words as they would go a long way in learning new words.
- 57. Try to gather the points in your mind structure them and then speak keeping in mind the rules of grammar. This would go a long way in improving your English speaking skills.
- 58. Try to socialize more. Meet new people and make a conversation with them. This way hesitation can be reduced a lot.
- 59. Be the first to begin the conversation and get it moving. Try to motivate others to speak. As you need not be a mere speaker but a nice motivator too.
- 60. Engage in more debates. Take a topic and discuss it amongst a group. Try to send your view points amongst the group and listen to their point attentively. Both speaking and listening are required to gain perfection in the language.
- 61. Learning English words does not imply that you can speak English perfectly. You need to have an understanding of grammar to speak perfectly.
- 62. Verb tenses are an important part of grammar concept as it signifies the timing of any actions. It’s important to understand usage and rules of all the tenses.
- 63. You should try to find and understand many irregular English verbs used in the language.
- 64. If you take a break from speaking and working on the language you may lose interest in that.
- 65. Don’t use a test score to judge ones ability to speak English. Its not necessary that a person with good score has good speaking skills.
- 66. Try to take a company while learning the language. You’ll have someone to practice with and motivate you.
- 67. It is important that we understand that the English pronunciation is not the same as we write.
- 68. It is important to understand that it takes more time to improve when our level is high. Improvement is higher in case of beginners.
- 69. It is important that the usage matches the occasion. Its ok to use slangs with friends but a professional dialect is required in case of business communications and public speaking.
- 70. Usage of idioms makes the English language more colorful and a great fun to use.
- 71. Analyze your weak and strong areas. Write down the areas where you require improving upon and the areas which are your strong point.
- 72. Try to prepare yourself through image training .Just before facing any real situations try imagining what can be the expected conversation and how to effectively handle it.
- 73. Proper body language and gestures also play an important role in making the speech effective. Different gestures hold different meanings in different cultures.
Thus using the right gesture and the right body language depending on the culture makes the conversation more effective.
Thus these are some of the ways that can be followed to learn the English communication. A mix and match of different ways needs to be followed to get the desired results depending on the existing level of the individual in that language and future expectations thereafter.
Check out for Part 2- How to learn English?