IELTS stands for the International English Language Testing System- an English language proficiency test designed to assess the understanding, speaking, listening, reading and writing, of English language of the candidates who are from non-English-speaking nations and want to study or work in a country where English is the language of communication.
Versions of the IELTS Test
IELTS has two versions:
• IELTS Academic: It’s perfect for the ones who wish to pursue a graduate or postgraduate degree program in an English-speaking country, or seek professional registration in the UK.
• IELTS General Training: It’s best for you if you want to study below degree level, or are planning to work and/or migrate to an English-speaking country.
Scheme of the IELTS Exam
Both the tests, Academic and General, are divided into four sections: Speaking, Listening, Reading and Writing. The total length of the exam is 2 hours and 45 minutes.
All candidates are needed to take the same speaking and listening tests, but there are different requirements for the writing and reading sections. For instance, the Academic Writing and Reading questions will be more abstract than those in the General version.
Benefits of IELTS Exam
The benefits of taking IELTS are numerous. If you are planning to study in top-notch universities or institutions of the world, such as the Oxford University, Cambridge University, or the University of California Berkeley, you must clear IELTS. There are different advantages of IELTS:
• It enables you to stud abroad and expand your career prospects. Most of the universities around the world recognize IELTS.
• IELTS helps you obtain a visa and work abroad. English language skills are a key to a successful career and considered a valuable asset in addition to all other requirements of any job.
• Government agencies often consider IELTS as a part of their application processes to obtain the right of permanent residency or citizenship. The IELTS exam is recognized by immigration authorities and continues to play an essential role in using language assesses as a medium to control migration numbers.
IELTS Test Centers
There are more than 400 test centers around the world and in India that administer IELTS. Most centers are run by the IELTS Australia and the British Council.
For more information about the application process and the nearest test center, you can either contact your nearest examination center or visit the official IELTS website.
Cost of IELTS Exam
In India-IELTS Test Fee: Rupee 7,600
USA-IELTS Test Fee: USD140
Singapore IELTS Test Fee: SD280
Result and Validity
The result of IELTS is declared within 13 days of the exam and it’s valid for two years.
How to get registered for IELTS?
1. Find your nearest IELTS center and confirm the test dates
2. Be clear about which test you need to sit for: Academic or General Training test
3. Ensure that you have a valid postal address and use the same name as on your passport
4. Arrange two recent passport-size photographs and sign the back of each. Take a Xerox company of your current passport
5. Take your application into your chosen IELTS test center with test fee
Once you have registered, the center will confirm the date, time and venue of the exam. The Speaking test can be up to seven days before or after the test date.
Once the test day, you must bring the same identity care and passport that you had mentioned/entered on the Application Form.
Number of Students
Trained, Number of Trainers